Okay, okay, need doesn't really cover the actual relationship I have with circle skirts. I suspect that there is an innate need in every small child to wear a garment that one can twirl in. Case in point, my sister has some friends whose young son Samuel's favorite activity is wearing a circle skirt and spinning around in circles while carrying his sword. My wedding dress (which, I might add, I designed) included a double circle skirt, when I was little my favorite thing to wear when playing dress up was a pink circle skirt that my Mom made me, and my all time favorite movie costume was Lisel's pink dress (with circle skirt) from the Sound of Music. Also, I purchased quite a bit of white and black linen years ago to make a black skirt and a white skirt which meant that I could knock out at least one of my unfinished projects.
Making a circle skirt is actually pretty easy. This site and this site both have some very good tips for making circle skirts. I didn't just want a plain
skirt, though, so I sketched out some possible designs using the black and white fabric. I felt very project runway-y (very make it work).It took two evenings to make although it should only have taken one because my sewing machine finally pooped out on me. I spent a couple of hours trying to fix it but alas my abilities were no match for the tension spring and I finally gave up and borrowed my Mom's ancient but far more reliable machine.
I'm not going through step by step instructions because those would be covered better and far more thoroughly by other blogs,
but everybody loves pictures so here's the assembly process. There were eight panels which meant eight of these triangle shapes and eight of the rounded bit at the bottom.The pieces when put together looked like this:
I used a grosgrain ribbon for the waist band which made the whole thing really easy. Then to finish the hem, I used plastic horse hair which gives the hem more shape. I also made a petticoat of sorts out of some really cheap curtain material and a belt out of the black linen.
Final results, not bad.

This is me standing with Ben. His character was the school jock and mine was an FBI agent and former homecoming queen (a title which I may or may not have earned fairly). The best part about this costume, however, was the twirling factor.


So cool!! It came out really nice. And I love the wig.
ReplyDeletethanks! :) it's called a "peggy sue" wig and i thought it was rather fitting for the time. it freaks Ben out but i love having long red hair.
ReplyDeleteYou look adorable! And I'm laughing because you finally got your wig - remember we went wig shopping/browsing? I'm totally impressed with your skills :)
ReplyDeleteThe sad thing is that I already had that wig... but it's just a cheap Halloween wig. I want one that really looks like my hair :) that will really freak Ben out.
ReplyDeleteYou should just dye it :).
ReplyDeleteI would, but that wouldn't make it long and shiny too :)
ReplyDeleteLove the skirt!!! Fantastic job!!
ReplyDeleteStill thinking about that wig :-)
Love the skirt!! : )
ReplyDelete